Top Five Benefits of Astaxanthin
Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant, naturally found in salmon, lobster and shrimp. Our astaxanthin comes from marine microalgae, harvested off the Hawaiian coast.
“Antioxidant” is a word we often hear bandied about, but do you know what antioxidants really are, and why they are important?
An antioxidant is a nutrient that inhibits oxidation in the body. And why does that matter? Because oxidation creates free radicals, and it’s free radicals that cause all the damage. The body is constantly producing free radicals, and so it’s vital that the amount of antioxidants in the bloodstream outnumber the free radicals, so that they can neutralize them and prevent them causing illness and chronic disease.
- So that’s our first benefit. As one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants, regular intake of astaxanthin supplements will boost the immune system and make us less prone to coming down with something nasty.
- But Astaxanthin is probably most well known for its benefits to eye health. This is because of the high amounts of carotenoids it contains, the same nutrient that gives carrots their reputation for helping you see in the dark.
- These carotenoids also provide the benefit of protecting your skin from sun damage. Consuming astaxanthin regularly will give your skin a healthy glow, and when the time comes to go out in the sun, you will get a more golden tan with less risk of burning. Think of astaxanthin as an internal sunscreen!
- The antioxidants in astaxanthin are also wonderful for reducing inflammation, and for this reason, they help with any kind of joint problems. Pain in the joints is caused by inflammation: any natural substances that will reduce that inflammation will help reduce the associated pain.
- Need to swim upstream like the salmon? Astaxanthin can help with that too! On those days when you feel like you’re going against the current, and having to exert huge amounts of effort to get anywhere, astaxanthin will support you and provide you with extra stamina. You should feel less fatigued, and experience quicker recovery times. This makes astaxanthin a popular supplement among endurance athletes.
Just one word of warning if you’re taking our Astaxanthin; the only possible negative side effect is that the bright pink liquid that the capsules contain can leave you looking like you put your lipstick on while drunk, if any gets around your mouth! Like that other powerful anti-inflammatory, turmeric, astaxanthin is such an intense vivid colour, be careful you don’t let it stain your clothes.